About the Book
Thirteen-year old Lakshmi thinks she is leaving her poor rural family to go to the city to become a maid. Little does she know her family has sold her into prostitution, and the price for her freedom may be too high. This National Book Award nominee is not only beautifully written, but both the writing and the subject matter have strong appeal to reluctant readers.
- Even though Lakshmi is poor and often doesn’t have enough food, is she happy in her mountainside home? Why do you think so? Are her ama and stepfather happy?
- Read the chapter “Next.” How is Lakshmi feeling here?
- Do you think Lakshmi’s ama knew what was really in store for Lakshmi? How about her stepfather?
- How does Lakshmi change when she realizes the truth about her debt to Mumtaz?
- Why do you think the girls were so frightened of the Americans?
For more discussion questions, visit the book’s website .
Other books about the struggles of children worldwide: