An author study is a unit lesson that gives students the opportunity to delve deeply into an author’s life and body of work. Individually, in small groups, or as a class, students can:
- Critically evaluate an author's themes, characters, and writing style
- Make connections between the author's life and work
- Make personal connections between their own experiences and those of the author and his/her characters
In addition to reading several works by an author, key components of an author study include discussion, research, and a final project.
Our Author Study Toolkit will help you create a unit tailored to your instructional goals, as well as your students' interests and abilities.
What you’ll find in the Author Study Toolkit
- 10 reasons to do an author study
- How to do an author study
- Set a purpose and goals
- Choose an author
- Read and respond to the books
- Research the author
- Culminating projects